Saris Aanhangers BV has officially existed since 1959, but the company was actually already writing history since 1913, when the granddad of the Director, Henny Saris, started a smithy in Eindhoven. Besides shoeing horses, construction work was also performed on a modest scale. When his children joined the company at the end of the nineteen-forties, the company started concentrating more on metal constructions and agricultural vehicles and it grew into a company of 200 m2 and fifteen staff. From then on, the name Saris Wagenbouw was associated with what the company was good in: trailers and motorised vehicles.
In 1959, it was decided that the manufacture of trailers would form our core business: the public were looking for a light and strong single or double-axled means of transport that could be towed behind another vehicle. In a move towards mass production, 1 hectare of land was bought in 1960 in Hapert, on Loonseweg 5a, now Hoogakker. Here there was space for six industrial buildings and capacity for 600 – 800 trailers a year. In 1961, the mayor opened the company and it was given every opportunity to realise its ambitions and to offer young local labour work with a future. All kinds of trailers were made, but slowly the company started to specialise and in 1965 it was successful in making 1000 Saris trailers. A year later, the brothers decided to go their separate ways and two companies were formed. Saris Aanhangers BV would make trailers with just one axle. A third brother formed a link between both companies, as he would sell trailers from both companies in Eindhoven.
In 1971, the factory was expanded with an automatic lacquering line in a new hall, which improved the trailers’ weather resistance and the lacquer’s impact resistance. In 1973, three large additional halls were added, for the purpose of final assembly, storage and dispatch. With the expansion of the office in 1976 the possibilities for further expansion were exhausted. And so a new plot of 22,000 m2 was bought on Metaalweg, of which 7500 m2 has been built-on with the lacquering line being our showpiece. Optimum solutions to transport problems are our business. In 1985, production increased fiftyfold: from 200 trailers in 1960 to about 10,000 per year. In 1991, the welding robots made their debut performing 95% of the welding and ensuring that the welding always had the same high quality. There are now six installations with eight robots.
In 1993, the Flamingo programme was launched in the market to reach the segment under that of Saris Aanhangers. The brand could profit from the know-how that was acquired with Saris Aanhangers BV, without having to pay the same price. In 1995, the 250,000th trailer rolled off the production line. Four years later, an expansion followed with a dispatch hall. New challenges continued to crop up, and so the premises on Energieweg 3B was bought in 2006 to accommodate the welding shop and to facilitate the manufacture of seven types of horse trailers, to expand them and incorporate the latest developments. The purchase of the premises at Metaalweg 1 followed a year later. The company is still growing! However, on the other side of the coin one could only keep pace with this (also qualitatively) by again stopping with horse trailers. So this decision was taken. In 2008, the 500,000th trailer rolled off the production line and in 2009 the company celebrated its 50th anniversary and a new milestone was reached.
Still going strong
Today, the total area of Saris Aanhangers BV covers 50,000 m2, of which 27,000 m2 is built-on On good days, 150 trailers are made, for which only the best quality products from leading suppliers are used. Saris uses an extensive dealer network in the Benelux, Germany, France and Switzerland and importers in Denmark, Finland, Greece and Israel. Field staff who are creative and good listeners and who keep abreast of new developments are crucial for the company. Saris Aanhangers BV: still going strong!